Laura M. Brower (Hunter)
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA AT DAVIS, SCHOOL OF LAW, J.D., 1987, UC DAVIS LAW REVIEW, EDITOR, PUBLISHED AUTHOR
- UNIVERSITY OF SAN DIEGO, B.B.A., MAGNA CUM LAUDE, BETA GAMMA SIGMA
Honors And Awards
- C.A.R.R.Y. CORPORATE PARTNER AWARD
- FINALIST, LOS ANGELES BUSINESS JOURNAL PUBLIC COMPANY GENERAL COUNSEL OF THE YEAR.
- NOMINEE, ORANGE COUNTY BUSINESS JOURNAL PUBLIC COMPANY GENERAL COUNSEL OF THE YEAR
- HOLY FAMILY CATHEDRAL RESPECT LIFE MINISTRY
- DIOCESE OF ORANGE HOPE AND HEALING MINISTRY, COMPANION MINISTER
- ST. NORBERT FINANCE COUNCIL
- BALBOA CAPITAL CORPORATION
- BRIDGEGATE 20
- CORE 21
- MARTIN LUTHER KING HOSPITAL FOUNDATION
Laura M. Brower (Hunter)
Laura M. Brower is a C-level executive with significant expertise (30+ years) in all types of transactional corporate work, including corporate financings (public and private), capital placement and acquisitions, legislative and government affairs, regulatory compliance, and operations and human resources.
Ms. Brower began her career at Paul Hastings as an associate attorney. At Paul Hastings, Ms. Brower handled all aspects of corporate and securities law transactions for both companies and investors. Ms. Brower then joined Brobeck, Phlegar & Harrison LLP for 14 years, where she was a corporate securities partner, head of the Business & Technology Group in the Orange County and Co-Chair of the Firm’s Global Life Sciences practice. She has raised billions of dollars in capital, participated in 75+ public offerings and dozens of M&A transactions, as well as countless private company financing transactions.
Ms. Brower has also held positions as in-house General Counsel and as Chief Legal Officer in both public and private companies for over a decade. Ms. Brower’s experience also includes roles as Chief Compliance Officer and the head of Government and Regulatory Affairs in several companies. Due to her extensive compliance experience, she can also seamlessly move within other companies in highly regulated industries. In addition, she is well versed in the corporate governance and compliance responsibilities of both public and private companies. She advises companies on human resources, compliance, supply chain, research and development and other matters. She has been on the Board of Directors or Advisory Board of several for-profit and non-profit companies, and currently volunteers for several organizations.
REPRESENTATIVE MATTERS AND CLIENTS
- Advised and positioned 100+ companies and investors resulting in placement of billions of dollars in private and public capital and in M&A transactions.
- Advised management and Boards of Directors on appropriate financing structures and feasibility of various financing alternatives, including debt and equity – convertible debt, KISS instruments, SAFEs, and VC and Private Equity stock transactions.
- Completed $400 million sale of publicly traded specialty pharmaceutical company.
- Created critical liquidity for major investors by implementing $20+ million stock buyout.
- Assisted Receiver in disposition of assets of a specialty laboratory company; facilitated the closure of all operations.
- Preserved market capitalization by orchestrating defense of proxy contest that could have resulted in a complete replacement of the Board.
- Saved in excess of $50+ million litigation exposure to company.
- Structured and negotiated over 150 transactions for start-up and seasoned companies or investors that resulted in capital placement in excess of $750+ million.
- Saved company $100+ thousands of dollars and allowed continued generation of $70+ million revenues by resolving three state regulatory inquiries.
- Rescued $25+ million in potential lost revenues by defeating legislation in Tennessee and Texas.
- Created new market opportunities in Utah and Arkansas through passage of legislation where company previously had no footprint.
- Increased revenues from $6 million to $25+ million as managing partner of corporate practice group in regional office of international law firm.
- Reduced out of pocket legal expenses from $2M annually to less than $180K annually in three months in one organization and eliminated all but external litigation and patent prosecution spend in another.
- Protected a company’s $130+ million revenue base by hiring lobbyists and outside monitoring firms in 12 states.
- Achieved accelerated growth trajectory for 50+ companies through coaching exercises in all aspects of a business.
- Ensured compliance with corporate governance, SOX, labor and employment practices and structured equity compensation plans.
- Created connectivity between departments and Board as part of six-person executive team for high-end publicly traded company and provided corporate governance oversight for both publicly traded and private companies
- Fractional Chief Legal Officer to the world’s #1 fractional CxO directory.
- Fractional Chief Legal Officer to early stage company that has identified a receptor that could predict those at risk for developing severe cases of the novel SARS – CoV – 2 virus.
- VP of Operations of a Profound Ventures portfolio company
- Fractional Chief Legal Officer to a company engaged in data warehousing by transforming data into business driving insights.
- Founding Partner of Profound Ventures, LLC, an early stage investment and growth accelerator creating and investing in for-profit businesses and non-profit organizations using innovative digital technologies in data analytics to have a profound societal impact.
- Chief Legal Officer, EVP Corporate, Government and Legislative Affairs, Chief Compliance Officer and Corporate Secretary of Proove Biosciences, Inc. (Precision Medicine Laboratory Testing company, placed in Receivership August 2017)
- Outside Chief Legal Officer of Immersive Entertainment, Inc., (VR/VA company with a variety of applications in multiple industry verticals).
- Vice President Government and Legislative Affairs, General Counsel and Secretary of Obagi Medical Products, Inc. (publicly traded specialty pharmaceutical skincare company, sold to Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in 2013; now privately held as Obagi Cosmeceuticals).
To contact Laura M. Brower (Hunter), please call (213) 927-6980 or email [email protected]
ARTICLES AND NEWS
California Employment Laws: Changes for 2023
Overview: New employment laws in California are here, with topics ranging from bereavement leave to cannabis use. Here’s a quick rundown: AB 1041: [...]
The Post-COVID Business Climate: Manifest Your Destiny as Restaurateur
Overview: Yes, we know COVID isn’t over yet. However, it looks to be on a significant downturn and will hopefully be in our [...]
Los Angeles County COVID Rules – January 2022 Employment Update
Overview: Per the latest COVID-19 health order of the LA County Department of Public Health dated January 10, 2022 (the “Health Order”), there [...]